Finding Time To Train
Does this sound familiar? “I know training is important but I just can’t find the time” If it does, don’t feel bad. It’s a very common complaint among today’s sales managers. In fact, according to 1 The Athletic Mindset:
“Approximately 50% of Sales Managers Don’t Have Time to Train”
Having been a sales manager myself, I know how challenging it can be to find time for training. Fortunately, you have access to numerous free online training resources with articles, tips, and tools to help fill in the gaps.
Is Free Online Training Effective?
First, it’s important that the resource is relevant to your sales team. If you manage an inbound call center an article about getting past the gate keeper in a face to face B2B scenario is going to be difficult to relate. Even if there are translatable skills most sales reps won’t make the connection. It’s too different from what they do on a day to day basis.
Second, you need to follow up and reinforce what was learned. No matter how good on-line training is, it will be far more effective supported by live coaching.
So what’s the answer, is free online training effective? Yes! In fact, according to Aberdeen Research…
Sales managers that provide their teams with on-going training and continuous post training support have 2 20% more sales reps at or above goal!
How To Use Online Training to Supplement Live Training
I always struggled to find online resources that really spoke to the salespeople I was managing. I developed KO Sales Coach to give you relevant topics, delivered in brief segments, that help supplement the training and coaching you’re doing with your team.
I want KO Sales Coach to be your “go to” resource when you need extra support or when you’re strapped for time. This saves you from researching, preparing, delivering , and even scheduling training sessions. (whew…that is a lot of work!)
“Timmy” needs help overcoming the “I want to talk to my doctor” objection.
- You visit KO Sales Coach, and select “objections” from the category list.
- You find an article with ideas on how to overcome the objection.
- You forward the article to Timmy, ask him to review it and put the suggestions into practice.
- You ask him to check back with you afterwards to talk about how it went. (which gives you the opportunity to coach and support the new skill he’s developing).
“Sally” is having a difficult time with tie-downs.
- You visit KO Sales Coach search for the phrase tie-downs and find the “Two Minute Video Training”.
- You forward the link to Sally and ask her to review the video.
- Once she’s done, you check in to see what she learned. (another coaching opportunity)
Finding What You Need
I’ve organized KO Sales Coach so you can easily find articles, podcasts, and videos based on the sales process. You can use the
- “Getting Started” menu and find content categorized based on the sales process
- “categories” pull down,
- the tag cloud at the bottom of the page or
- even do a search on keywords to find exactly what you want.
Once you find what you feel would be helpful for your agent:
- print it out,
- forward the link,
- or direct them to it.
All of the content has been specifically designed to be consumed quickly so your sales team can get the information right on the sales floor during slow times. This also allows them to put what they’ve learned into practice right away!
Help Me, Help You
Staying up to date with new training topics added to the site makes KO Sales Coach a more valuable resource for you. The good news? Staying current is super easy! Follow these three easy steps to be notified when new content is available.
- Subscribe to the FREE email newsletter – I send you a brief notice right to your inbox each week with any new articles, podcasts or videos that have been added to the site.
- Subscribe to the Podcast – Every Thursday I release a short new episode. Even if your commute to work is less than 10 minutes you’ll be able to give it a listen on the way in!
- Subscribe to the YouTube Channel – I’m adding new Two Minute Training videos all the time. Stay up to date with a quick notice whenever new videos are added.
Free online training resources like KO Sales Coach are a useful tool for managers who are strapped for time and have sales reps that can benefit from additional training.
Are there topics you can’t find on the site that your team could benefit from? Drop me a line or leave a comment below. I’m always looking for new ideas!
1 Source: The Athletic Mindset <http://theathleticmindset.com>
2 Source: Aberdeen Research <http://www.aberdeen.com/>